Tuesday, August 28, 2012

What's the best way to learn this business?

Hi Diane,

I came across your name online as I'm doing some research regarding being a title closer. I've just begun this career and I am still in the learning phase. I've done about 5 or 6 closings on my own but am looking for more knowledge. My experience and background are not in finance or real estate so it's all very new to me. I'm looking for someone to answer some ABC's: how to mark up a report, as well as to explain what each document means (especially if clients ask as well as for my own knowledge). Any advice or guidance you have is greatly appreciated. 

Best, 


C

Hi, C:

The only way to learn is to apprentice at the side of a knowledgeable title agent.  Find one and work for them.

Good luck.
Diane

3 comments:

Jonathan said...

There are also many great resources online to give you the basics for document names and descriptions. After reading a good amount of chains of title it becomes 2nd hand.

D said...

Jonathan: Thank you for commenting. I do have to say that this is a case of not knowing what you don't know until you know it. Before starting a title insurance agency in 1991, I already had about 16 years in mortgage banking under my belt. Even so, the three attorneys who started the agency with me were in charge. I was taught file by file until 1997 when I finally felt sufficiently trained to test for my license and go it on my own. I am still learning today.

When I select an independent abstractor to do work for our company, I am careful to look for an experienced individual who understands that it's not just pulling a title chain. Anyone can do that and many consumers think that's what a professional title searcher does. They are wrong.

I do sometimes worry about our industry and whether there are young people working as apprentices next to an experienced abstractor. This is what young attorneys and law clerks used to do.

I hope they are out there learning because the good ones I work with will probably start to retire in about 10 years. Who will follow?

Anonymous said...

Greetings Oh Title Guru,
C asked about doing closings, you must train under an experienced closing agent, someone who has been in the trenches so to speak. This is not something you can learn online, there have been a few colleges & universities that provided classes for just this part of the title insurance industry. Needless to say those classes are no longer offered. Too many variables for it to be a textbook class. After doing this for 26 years, I still learn something valuable everyday!
Kathy G