Sunday, September 21, 2008

query: my name is not on house title, what happens if my husband dies

For a concern as serious as this, I suggest you consult an attorney.  First, an attorney will understand the laws of your state, and secondly, everyone should have a WILL, preferably prepared by a competent estate attorney.  Your concerns for all assets and children, if you have them, can be taken care of with a WILL.

So, with that in mind, in PA, if your name is not on the house title and your husband dies, the house along with his other assets go into his estate.  If he has a WILL, the terms of the WILL guide the distribution of assets.  If he dies without a WILL, as his spouse, it is likely that you would inherit his property but there could be complications, particularly if there are family disputes.  The best advice is to handle your estate planning and concerns with a competent estate attorney.

No comments: