Sunday, March 11, 2007

query: does title insurance cover adverse possession?

The question isn't entirely clear, are we surprised because you didn't know I would try to answer it!

Two comments:

If you are hoping your title insurance will help you make a claim of adverse possession, I would say no.

If you are being threatened by an adverse possession claim by another person against your property, contact your title insurance company immediately. Make your inquiry in writing and include a copy of any letters you have received. Expect to get a prompt response. You may wish to call and make certain are you sending the claim to the correct location. If you want me to help, I'll need the name of the title company from your policy and the location of the property. I can direct you to the office of the underwriter in your area.

No comments: