Sunday, March 25, 2007

query: what states do abstractors need to be licensed in

No license is required in Pennsylvania, that's for sure. I'm unware of any state requiring a license to abstract. Are you? I'd like to know, so please send a comment our way.

The title insurer is responsible to the consumer for the work of the abstractor. Title insurers can and should use care when selecting an abstractor because the abstract provides the raw data used in examination. It's key to a safe transaction.

Besides having E & O coverage, I prefer an abstractor with 10 or more years experience and someone who "gets it", meaning understands quality and reliability.

I could use cheaper abstractors if I didn't care about quality, but crappy standards are an anathema to me.


Anonymous said...

Abstractors are SUPPOSED to be licensed in Minnesota (I am licensed), but there are many out there who are not. I know that when I lived in NY, abstractors were not licensed, in fact, even title agents were not licensed - just contractually bound by the underwriter. I have thirty years experience abstracting and examining/reading (depending on which part of the country you are in), having started in a law office and being taught by an attorney who graduated Yale Law in 1940 (a real stickler, but I have continued his training throughout my professional life).

Anita JW Backlund
APL Warranty Title LLC

Diane Cipa, The Closing Specialists® said...

Anita: You're one of the wise ones who understand how this business of land records and conveyance should work. I hope you'll visit from time to time to share your views. Thank you for commenting.