Thursday, February 21, 2008

query: how do I take my deceased husband off the title to my house

If the property is in both of your names, it should not be necessary to remove his name. Simply keep a death certificate available and give it to the attorney or title agent handling any refinance or sale of your home. Your responsibility is to provide proof of death. The next legal document being recorded in the chain will recite the death sort of like this:

John Smith died on July 1, 2006 thereby vesting full title in his surviving spouse by operation of law.

If the property was in your husband's name alone, you should seek the advice of an attorney.

No comments: